Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Beans and lentils and repercussions


Okay, friends with the gift of hospitality, take note. In my efforts to stick to my new Dave Ramsey inspired yet self imposed food budget and entertain long awaited and delightful company, learn from me what not to do.... For lunch I served Muhjadra, a dish akin to something Martha would have served Jesus. I'll send ya'll the recipe some day. Muhjadra contains carmelized onions, lentils and rice-very hearty, earthy and yummy. I made some corn bread pancakes on top of the stove to save propane (money) and steamed some spinach. For supper I served pinto beans tostado style with cheese and hot sauce. I had soaked the beans over night, rinsed them and then cooked them slowly with salt, onion powder and garlic powder. Did you know that 1/2 to 3/4 cup of legumes, or carbohydrates of any kind, is a serving, not a whole plate! We are eating a lot of beans around here and will continue to experiment.
What's up for lunch today? Fava beans!! You gotta google this one. Very interesting. Here is what I have found out so far in the preparation of the Fava bean: They cost a lot for starters. Guess I overlooked that; I purchased them before Dave Ramsey and they were an impulse buy. They were really unusual looking. Lesson learned: Pay attention to the price. Instructions said to blanch in boiling water for 10-15 minutes and then "slip" off the outer skin. Well, I had to stand over my sink for 20 minutes peeling off the outer skin. So very time intensive. Lesson learned: Blanch for at least 15 minutes. I'll let you know how they taste later.

Blessings to your day!

They taste like Lima beans.... Taste like they could be potent. I will let you know....

1 comment:

Ashlyn said...

Hmm.. interesting... I can say this much: Hope would like it.. (because if they taste anything like lima beans, then don't tell her. They'll be gone in two seconds.)