Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Beef Heart

You can tell it is the end of the month and I am scraping the bottom of the barrel (a.k.a. deep freeze) because I am finally getting around to cooking the cow's heart. Run, don't walk, to your nearest trusted butcher and buy you a cow heart. Now that I have found out by trial and error how to cook it, I must say it is one of the most delicious meats I have ever eaten. Last night I cut the heart into thin slices, dipped it in eggs and milk and then whole wheat flour. I then fried it in my old trusty iron skillet and made gravy, of course. It was good but a bit gristly. Rick says he prefers the taste of heart over liver. I served it with salad and a rice pilaf.

Then I followed by Yankee neighbor's advice who grew up on a farm in Indiana and ate you don't want to know what all she ate. Let's just say she is one hearty, robust woman (Belinda for those of you who know her.) Belinda had told me to boil the heart. So out comes my crock pot last night after supper and I cooked that beater for 20 hours are so in water. Now let me tell you, whoa baby, mui, mui deliciouso! It slices so easily and tastes like the best and most tender cut of roast beef. I poured off the broth and will make gravy to accompany tomorrow's meal.

Next up, brains????? Now girls, that will take some doing, 'cause the family is onto me!!

Try it! You'll like it!!

Here's to the abundant life!

1 comment:

amber said...

Andrea you are the bravest woman I know to eat beef heart!